Thursday, September 15, 2011

It seems like yesterday

It seems like yesterday that I got the phone call that my grandma had a attack and to quickly go to the hospital. When I got there the Dr. told us that her heart had stopped.They worked hard to bring her back to life. I remember feeling so lucky that she was alive.
The next day she was awake and we all took turns talking to her. She told me she wanted me to record her stories and that she couldn't wait to go home so she could make me my favorite meals. My grandma LOVED to cook and would cook for anyone and everyone that went to her house. It made her so happy to make things for others. Everyone got their turn to be with her. The following day she was even better and they moved her to another area. We again spent the day with her and she was happy smiling that she was getting a lot of attention from everyone. We left so she could rest and about an hour later we were called to come to the hospital because she was unconscious. When we got there my grandma had passed away. It wasn't because of the heart attack, it was because she had had internal bleeding.
Almost a week later I was giving her eulogy. It took me a long time to write it and towards the middle I just felt impressed to stop and to ask one question..."How many of you were fed by my grandma?" Almost the entire room raised their hand.
My grandma was a special lady. She always left her door open so that people felt like that they were always welcome. She was extremely crafty!!! If you saw her hands you could tell she had spent her entire life creating with them.
It's been ten years since my grandma passed away. I miss her so much. The other day while cleaning I found the partially made blanket that she was knitting before passing away. She was making it for her newest great granddaughter, Sierra who was only two months old. I am so sad that my little one will never know her great grandma. I know they would have gotten a long very well.
I hope that everyone that has a grandma or grandpa takes the time to be with them. Who knows how long they will be on this earth with us. When you see them, give them a hug. I wish I could do the same.
I love and miss you grandma,
Hugs,
Suzy West

2 comments:

Lindsey Alves said...

Beautifully said!

Melanie said...

Suzy,
You really have a talent. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie