Thursday, January 26, 2006

There's nothing "glamorous" about designing

I have had several gals tell me that they think my job is "glamorous". They wish they had my job and love that I get to travel and do all the things I do.

I gotta be honest. I LOVE what I do, but there isn't anything glamorous about doing it!! LOL
Getting ready for CHA is and always has been ((a lot)) of work. Teaching classes is a lot of work. Creating projects for an upcoming book is hard. Imagine having to do all of these things at the same time. It's madness I tell you!LOL

I'm getting ready to leave for CHA. I've been desiging projects and have some of my designers creating as well. I've been finishing up some last minute things, making phone calls, making sure my class stuff (teaching a class of 100) is all in order, sending the gals that are coming with me reminders, and I still haven't even started packing!LOL Oh did I mention I have a store of my own that I have to run and a family?

So why do I write this? I have no idea!LOL No really, I guess because it was 2:00 am when I finished one of my last projects last night!!LOL I guess it's because I would like people to know that although a lot of us that design for companies, magazines, etc love what we do, it is a lot of work. It's not a glamorous job. Especially when you have completely lost your mojo and can't think of a single thing to do so you create, take the project a part, create, take the projec a part, create...well you get it.

So how can you tell if ((I)) have been prepping for a big event?

  • I'll be wearing the same things I wore the day before.
  • I look like I have a chia pet growing out of my head because I haven't combed my hair in who knows how long!
  • When I call one of my children their name all of a sudden sounds like this..."Angel, I mean Jeremy, I mean Sierra come over here"
  • I look so crazy that my husband tells me HE has a headache!
  • I go to bed with a note pad and pen in case I remember something I have to get done or something creative comes to my mind I can sketch it...and when I read it in the morning it says..."go to take a shower you smell!"LOL

Thanks gals for listening to my ramblings!! I look forward to going to Las Vegas this weekend. Hope to see a lot of you there!!

Hugs

15 comments:

Steph said...

lol Suzy, I'm the same way when Im in creative mode, but I'm not always getting paid for it :)

berta said...

Suzy, I know it can be tough, but I love your books and store and all the g4 girls I know. When CHA is all over take a day for yourself, you deserve it. :)

SageHen said...

LOL. Frankly, it dosen't seem all that different the life of a stay-at-home mother part-time newspaper reporter.

Except the traveling part.

MsRetro said...

Too funny - I can totally relate!! Can't wait to see you at CHA!

Michelle W. said...

oh man, I'm laughing thinking about the chia hair!!! lol. I know it's hard work. But you do it so beautifully. Hugs and have fun at cha.

Michelle

Mary Ann said...

Hey Suzy West!!! Just found your blog tonight and wanted to say hi!!!!
Funny that I found your blog tonight because I just gave your name to someone yesterday that was from Fremont, and hadn't heard of your garage. She was a customer visiting the store with a few friends, and I gave her your name, etc to look you up when she got back home.
Hope your doing well!
Mary Ann from Strictly - Cerritos

Melanie said...

Amen to all of that. Except I don't have a notepad by my bed. LOL

Melanie said...

Amen to all of this. Except I don't have a pen/paper by my bed at night. LOL

Melanie said...

oops

Erika Hayes said...

Suzy!!!! I just found your blog...You so crack me up... I hope you get some sleep b4 the show...and a shower would be nice...LOL J/K

and remember... IF you use a hole puncher on the page -pro-tec-tor.... now stop....rewind....LOL

I've missed you doll! Hope all is going well.. I am gonna be at CHA.. I hope we see each other

I've recently come back to 2peas and can't wait to see you around more

((hugs))
erika

Kip said...

It does sound very hectic and I just wanted to wish you a very happy CHA!

kip

Sande Krieger said...

Amen, sister, amen!

sharonc said...

You are too funny! Congrats on the new book - I can't wait to get it. Have fun at CHA and ENJOY the spoils of all your hard work!

CarrieZohn said...

(falling over laughing) OH yes, I can relate. NO glamour here so thank GOD we do love what we do, eh? I also have a store to run and a family and I think I got the "you stink" smart comment from my husband the other night but he dressed it up so as not to be able to tell that he was ACTUALLY being rude! If'n you ever want some help designing though, I'd LOVE TO be considered. I'm already earmarking some cash for those black canvases!! :) Good luck at CHA!!

Kristin said...

It's a tough job but someone has to be creative for all of us. Yes, and please, take a shower, the flys are circling. ;)